Monday, December 04, 2006

Why Do People Quit Good Jobs?

The statistics listed come directly from the book, First, Break All The Rules: What The World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently.

“Based on in-depth interviews by the Gallup organization of over 80,000 managers in over 400 companies – The Largest Study Of Its Kind Ever Undertaken”

The following questions are those that when answered positively by employees, reflected a higher level of retention in a company or company department.

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last 7 days, have I received recognition or praise for good work?
5. Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
8. Does the mission or purpose of my company make me feel like my work is important?
9. Are my coworkers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In the last six months have I talked with someone about my progress?
12. This last year have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?

"Those who answered positively to these questions also worked in business units with higher levels of productivity, profit, retention, and customer satisfaction. It was also discovered that the answers were different within individual business units, which proved that it’s not the company that creates a workplace where good people stay, but it’s the immediate managers that create retention or turn-over."

If you are a leader in you organization or company and you're having a difficult time keeping your staff, put yourself in their place and find out if you worked for yourself, could you answer yes to all of these questions. Despite the thinking of conventional wisdom, it's not pay and perks that keep good people.

If you, as an employee, would jump at the first good opportunity to leave your job for another, even if your pay and perks are good at your current job, I guarantee you have answered "No" to most of these 12 questions.

Forever learning,
Johnny

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Johnny. I interviewed this morning for a position that will put me in charge of a much larger staff. If I get the position I will definatley use those questions in assessing my new staff.

Miss you

Jason

Johnny said...

Hey Jason,

Get the book. It is a great resource. Also, they point out that getting a new job or even a promotion can put you back at the bottom of the mountain, metaphorically speaking and you may not be able to answer yes to as many of the questions as you were before the promotion or new job.

I think it's a good idea to ask these question of ourselves as managers, placing ourselves in the shoes of our staff every day.

Another interesting point they bring up is that if you tell everyone they should be promoted, they will score you as a five on feeling appreciated, but a one, when they have to answer, "Am I in a place where I am using my talents." It's tricky stuff.

Get the book.

Thanks for you comment, Jason.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

The Secret of Happiness said...

Man...answering those questions make me feel like failure. Is there some kind of curve we can be graded on???

Johnny said...

Actually the questions don't present a grade to the employee; the grade is for the supervisor. If you are answering no, then it's your immediate supervisors failure, not yours.

I'm beginning to see why we keep losing so many good troops.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Anonymous said...

This is so great! I've supervised in the past and would have loved to have these questions then.

I know the company overall I work for is great, but these questions applied to my department help me to understand better how I feel about my current position and how others are feeling. I am no longer supervising but because I did in the past and have been with the department for quite awhile, I'm kind of the "middle man" now between the other employees and management.

This would be good to share with the management team. Now just to find the right opportunity and way to present it to them.

Johnny said...

Hey Ang,

Buy the book on CD and play it in your office. When they ask why you're listening to it, tell them you are investing in your own personal growth and education.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Unknown said...

I think in most cases it concerns salary! if you are not satisfied with these reasons, http://resumeperk.com/blog/15-common-reasons-why-people-quit-jobs and check 15 more ones why people quit jobs!