Saturday, February 10, 2007

Read At Your Own Risk!

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately. Most of the reading I’m doing is from authors who are quite controversial and not the most popular characters to reach the Christian audience. But the subjects are wonderfully intriguing and lead the reader to search deeper.

One book I’ve been reading was a recent gift from a friend in Texas. The book’s title is “The Gift of the Jews.” Another great book that was given to me in the same week by another friend is titled “Misquoting Jesus.” These are not books that I would recommend to the average fundamentalist or anyone of a less than completely stable faith. Frankly, the two books together are a recipe for creating an atheist at worst and an agnostic at best. At the very least, they will create confusion and frustration for the average Christian.

“The Gift of the Jews” was written in the late 1990’s by Thomas Cahill and it is the history of Abraham’s ancestors who were called the Sumerians. The Sumerians were fantastic story tellers who developed their stories over literal centuries until they would reach perfection. The story of Gilgamesh is a story that began even before the Sumerians and was told over millennia.

The story of Gilgamesh included a “Tree of Life” that was protected by a serpent, a man created from a ball of clay, and a great ritual ladder that, if someone were to climb it and reach the heavens, they would become a god. There was also the belief that each individual had an angel that tended to his or her needs after a difficult time in life. The prehistoric ancestors of Abraham would pass these stories verbally long before writing was ever invented, perfecting them with each generation. And the stories are preserved in stone, the first form of writing, which archeologists and scholars use today to piece the stories together.

These are all very fascinating findings and quite faith shaking. As I said before, these are not books for anyone who wants his or her beliefs to remain unchallenged. Yet, somehow, my faith is only strengthened by the study. And I don’t mean in a rebellious way, but in a healthy kind of peaceful way that gives me the ability to say, "So what? Does it matter if the stories belong strictly to Israel or if Israel, the descendants of these great story tellers, held on to these fantastic tales and used them to build and sustain a faith in God throughout the centuries?

For me, it doesn’t give me cause to give up faith, but a hunger for more of how we have come to believe what we believe.

Forever learning, wherever it takes me,
Johnny

9 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

Does anybody really have a "completely stable faith?"

Kathy said...

To answer Kristy's question...I don't think so...I know I don't.

Johnny, I'm glad you warn people about the content of these books. I think believers need to be bathed in prayer before they tackle something like that..they should also have the maturity that you have.
Like you, my faith is only strengthened by challenges because it forces me to search and remind myself of where my beliefs came from.

Johnny said...

What is a stable faith?

First of all, I'm reminded that the word "faith" comes from a Hebrew word that means "tenacity." When the friends bring the paralyzed man to Jesus by placing him through a roof, Jesus tells him that the "tenacity" of his friends allowed for his healing.

I guess that most of us today refer to faith as a belief, which adds confusion to what it means to have faith. If we are to have the kind of faith that Jesus says we are to have, then we are to have an action based, no-way-to-stop-me obedience to the commandments of the Jesus whom we profess to obey.

What we believe has very little to do with faith, except that we must believe that we are doing what Jesus would do and has taught us to do.

That's why it doesn't make a difference to me whether the stories of the Bible are historical facts or they are simply prehistoric parables.

History is history and though the interpretation of history is greatly influenced by the historian who is claiming his or her facts, we will have to admit that history speaks louder than beliefs. I think that God would want us all to be historians, at least in part, rather than completely blind believers.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Kathy said...

Hmmmmm....

Stephanie said...

I miss conversations with you at work!

sixonefour said...

i was just reading a totally unrelated blog and imagine how pleasantly surprised i was to see my friend johnny making a comment! nevermind the comment was completely hilarious, but it was like two worlds colliding...my NC world and my BC world.
I definetely liked it.
grace
HD

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Johnny. Its interesting to note that many modern Theologians are moving into a Narrative Theology. With all of the archeological evidence and modern "Cause and Effect" worldview, we have had to adjust our literalist thinking and accept the beauty of story telling. The truth is in the story. It is concerned about the story of God and mankind. That is why Jesus used so many parables, the Lost son, Lost coin, Adam and Eve, the Great Flood, etc... This shouldn't hurt our belief, but it offers comfort because most of us had a difficult time believing in fairy tales and myths, but were forced to. Now there is an alternative. Bonhoeffer stated that the world had grown past its adolescent stage and now needed to adopt a more mature perspective of God, I agree. By the way, did you see your article in the Southern Spirit?

In process,
John

Johnny said...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the comments. I love to be encouraged. Unfortunately, encouragement often leads me to more controversy.

HD,
I'd love to know which blog you were reading.

Stephanie,
I miss our conversations too. Let's have one this Friday night. You, Tilden, and me, your house.

I'll see you Friday. I hope you remembered that.

John,
Thanks for your words. Wow, we have come a long way since 2000. I love what I'm learning and very much appreciate our conversations. You give me courage to keep seeking. Thanks for being such a great friend.

Yes I did see my article in the Southern Spirit. Hey two publications in one month. I think that’s pretty cool.

Kathy,
Keep searching with me. God is awesome and always and forever mysterious.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

There is a growing movement in the church toward a less literal understanding of all of the Bible stories. This is probably scary to some people.

But, as one friend pointed out, Stanley Grenz suggested that the liberal theology that has been growing has forced the fundamentalists to push for a completely literal understanding in order to prevent too much thinking in the church.

I would argue that the fundamentalists, though well-meaning, would not object to going back in time and putting a stop to the invention of the printing press. Too many people getting a chance to read and think are putting the theological monopoly in danger.

Grace and peace,
Johnny