Sunday, May 01, 2005

Don't Tell Me what you THINK worship is.

What is worship?
Is it falling on my face before the Lord?
Is it giving myself to the Lord?
Is it listening to a sermon, singing songs, and hearing Scripture read?
Is it coming to church?
Is it Bible Study?
Is it thinking about God?

Don't tell me that it's all of these things, because it's not!

Worship is intimate connection with God. It is nothing more and nothing less than that.

Worship is not a one hour meeting on Sunday that includes all of the elements of a normal program.
Worship is not announcements, singing, sermons, or reading Scripture.

Don't try to convince me otherwise. I don't buy anything that has been passed down to Christians as part of an organized, programmed ritual being worship. All of the elements of Sunday are merely lures to worship, but not worship. They are means to an end, not an end in themselves. Worship is worship; singing is singing; sermons are sermons; Scripture reading is Scripture reading.

"Ezra opened the book in full view of everyone, because he was above them. As he opened it, all the people stood up. Ezra praised the Lord, the great God, and all the people held up their hands and said, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground." Nehemiah 8:5-6

Worship is an intimate connection with God!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Johnny: THANK YOU for finally explaining what "worship" IS. I have failed miserably in trying to get an answer to that question from anyone or anything...guess I wasn't looking hard enough!

Daniel Simmons

Kathy said...

I've been a Christian all my life and am just starting to learn how to truly 'worship'.
Thank you for your blog today.
It came at the perfect time.