Monday, January 23, 2006

Commissioned to teach Church Etiquette?

Today I received an amazing phone call. You may recall the book 'Radical Outreach.' You can find it in any Christian bookstore. The book is about reaching people the way they can be reached today and the author's name is Dr. George Hunter III.

Dr. Hunter is Distinguished Professor of Church Growth and Evangelism of Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore Kentucky. He is also the author of 'Church for the Unchurched' and 'The Celtic Way of Evangelism.'

I called him a week ago to discuss my concerns over the challenge of transitioning the traditional into missional. Dr. Hunter called me back today and left me with these wise words:

"Many Christians are now the modern day Judaizers who insist that those who are not Christians are the Gentiles who need to be circumcised before they enter the church."

Dr. Hunter's words were in reference to those who hold on to the status quo, enjoying their church lives, and unwilling to change in order to reach the lost. Instead many Christians require the lost to accept the culture of their particular denomination, class, and/or social behavior before they can be a part of the family of God.

It's time to put away the scalpels.

Forever learning,
Johnny

2 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

Dr. Hunter sounds like a wise man...maybe in a few years Dr. Hunter will be seeking Dr. Gainey's advice...

Kathy said...

I agree with Kristy. I look forward to the very near future when published author of best selling theological works, Dr. J. Gainey, is being quoted around the world. Then I will write a blog about how I knew you before you were famous! Don't forget the little people!
We're really proud of you Johnny.