Thursday, February 23, 2006

Keeping It In Context

Well, just in case you happen to come across Stephen Court's blog, "Amnesty Box vs. The Salvationist Mind for the 21st Century" on ARMYBARMY and see that one of my articles has become a source of inspiration, know this:

Context means everything.

I'm not sure how people will take my words when I write them, but those who know me best know that I am constantly learning and developing.

I believe The Salvation Army needs to stand and not be so flaky when it comes to serving the world. There is way too much compromise in the ranks and in our purpose. It’s very difficult to move forward when you don’t know which direction is forward.

I want it to be clear that The Salvation Army is the vehicle of which I choose to serve Christ and I am always looking for the most effective way to serve Him for the Kingdom.

Church growth and personal recognition are not any less divisive than rigidity and irrelevance in Christian expression and ministry.

I don’t know that a dogmatic stance, which moves us to see the opinions of others as an opportunity to judge them as if they have no other dimensions, is justifiable Christian behavior.

We must constantly understand that sometimes God is represented by the prophet who stands on the side of God with a warning of judgment to the people; sometimes He is represented by the priest who stands on the side of the people pleading to God for mercy; still sometimes He is represented by the king who makes a decision based on God's will.

In all of these roles, God is often represented by a human being in the form of a Christian leader. God's leaders are sent to represent the role God calls that leader to be for each individual or congregation.

As Doctor Rick Lints, Professor of Theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary so adequately stated, “There are some who are standing and need to fall on their knees and pray for mercy, while there are others who are kneeling who need to stand up and trust that God has given it to them.” God's representatives are often used to help His flock know whether they are to stand or kneel when their pride or self-pity blind them to the direct message from God.

Every message or philosophy deserves to be heard for what it is--an attempt at finding and revealing the truth. I believe that no matter how wrong one person sees the views of another, we must always remember that those who are brave enough to voice their views and are within biblical parameters of doing so, are also those who care enough to speak.

Let’s not discourage vocal expression, as each expresser is a child of God who seeks to find and share Christ with deep conviction and sincerity.

Thank you to everyone who encourages me and stands beside me as a REVOLUTIONARY and wants what is best for The Salvation Army and, most importantly, The Kindgom of God.

Forever learning,
Johnny

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I know from my conversations with Johnny that he is constantly learning. I would venture to say that he is one of the more open minds in The Salvation Army and is ready to receive people and their ideas even when they are in parity to his own. I would also venture to say that he is tenacious when it comes to never being satisfied with the status quo. I would challenge anyone who has a problem with what his or any other christian views that are in the biblical parameter to check their ego at the address bar and open themselves up to what perhaps the Holy Spirit is doing in HIS church rather than pushing the dogma of a denomination.

Blessings!
Vance

Kathy said...

Johnny, your openmindedness and your willingness to learn and be taught makes you a leader worth following. Thank you for being a man of the Word.

Bret said...

Hey Johnny,

I understand how “personal recognition” and “rigidity and irrelevance” can be divisive. But how does “church growth” fit into that divisiveness?

Secondly, are you suggesting that we think before we speak? That we prayerfully seek God as to whether or not our opinions and passions are truly biblical and from God?

Lastly, I think it is healthy to challenge those we disagree with, especially as it relates to God’s business. I have some very strong beliefs related to mission and purpose that are offensive to some. I invite those who disagree to challenge me. If I have somehow gotten off track, I want someone to get me back on.

Voicing controversial views and challenging those views does not have to be divisive.

Great blog!

Blessings,

Bret