Friday, March 03, 2006

Another Pentecost?"

I’m not going to do the study for everyone, but I will give my best, according to my own study and the insight of great teachers, professors, and, of course, the Word of God.

To ask for another Pentecost, is like asking for another crucifixion, another risen Christ, or another Ark of the Covenant to be built. Pentecost happened as it was prophesied to happen…once!

The Spirit of God was present in “Tongues of Fire” or, to give a clearer translation, “Languages of Power.” The “fire” of God, was at Pentecost and is today, His powerful spoken Word, given by those who are faithful to share it.

I have always cringed a bit when I hear this song led in worship. Next we’ll be writing a song asking for another crucifixion.

Forever Learning,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny,

I would agree that we literally dont need another Pentecost, however, I believe the writer of the song was figuratively saying that we need more...more of the Holy Spirit in our lives. I dont believe he/she was asking the Lord to replicate Pentecost. That is the beauty of the English language. I know this is a simplistic response..but, I believe that sometimes we can dig too deep and miss the original meaning of some things.

Johnny said...

Must be nice to be anonymous. Maybe you're not as sure of your stance as you would have me believe.

Just a thought.

Johnny

Johnny said...

Pentecost was a ONE TIME OCCURANCE. It was the coming of the Spirit into the NEW TEMPLE OF GOD…His people.

The Spirit of God is in His people who don’t need another coming of the Spirit into his people. The Spirit of God is in His people who need to start living like He is in His people.

When a person asks for another Pentecost, he is asking for a battery charge, not a new battery. Yet the battery doesn’t need to be charged, the person needs to flick the switch to “ON.”

Turn on your life of God’s will and mission and Pentecost will serve its rightful place as an historic documentation for the how you are able to work under the power of the Spirit.

Forever learning,
Johnny

Johnny said...

Hi Susan,
Just trying to bring out the brave, as obviously has been accomplished.

I also wanted to send a message to those who want to remain anonymous. As Rob Bell says, "Blogging is becoming a safe place for cowards to share their opinions.

Now that I and everyone else knows it is Susan Mcelroy, well the coward thing hss been shot to *%#@&*.

You could have at least played along just to keep it interesting.

Love ya.
Johnny