Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Christian is a Synonym for Team

As I studied this week to prepare a teaching on the subject of marriage, I learned a very valuable truth, which I shared in the message on Sunday.

One part of a Jewish wedding ceremony, during, before, and after the time of Jesus, consists of an ancient custom which is the sharing of two cups of wine by the marrying couple.

The first cup is called the “cup of joy.” The “cup of joy” is a reminder that when a person shares joy with another person, the joy is doubled.

The second cup is called the “cup of sacrifice.” The “cup of sacrifice” is a reminder that when a person shares a burden with another, the burden is halved.

The marrying couple drink from the same cups as a symbol that they are sharing in the promises of their covenant.

Another interesting point is that during the wedding feast, the word “companion” was used, which literally meant, “those who break bread together.”

Though those are very interesting facts about the important traditions of a Jewish wedding, the real interest I found is in the way the tradition is performed and what it has to do with you and me today.

A cup of wine shared by two or more people in Jesus day was the common act of strengthening an alliance. This was not only done in weddings, but among all people who were promising to stick together as a team.

The custom of sharing a cup of wine was the equivalent of today’s Western handshake, when done as a pact between two partnering businesspeople.

All of this teaches us that when Jesus shared a cup of wine and a loaf of bread with the disciples in the upper room, the act was a common way of saying, “Those of you who choose to stick together with me and each other through the joy and suffering of following your Messiah, drink from one cup and eat from one loaf as a promise to do so.”

Those who find it easy to be faithful to each other during the joyful times and hard to stick together through the tough times have chosen to share the "cup of joy," yet choose not to share the "cup of sacrifice."

The next time you and I share a cup or eat from the same loaf, let’s do it as a reminder that we are promising to stick together in joy and in suffering.

Forever learning,

Johnny


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! I know that you have this view when it comes to authentic friendship as Christ intended it. I'm blessed to be your friend.

Vance

Anonymous said...

I am always blessed when I read your postings. Can we symbolically share coffee? (Personnel at SFOT would be all over me if they busted me with wine.)

Craig

Kathy said...

True dat Hommie J. We miss you. I remember being in Greenville and telling a little kid in our Corps that there was no 'I' in team and he said, "Ya, but there is a 'ME'"
That made me laugh....Love you guys!

Stephanie said...

cool... maybe Tilden and I will celebrate our anniversary by sharing a joyful glass of wine and a sacrificial glass of wine... I like the symbolism.