Sunday, May 14, 2006

Who Is Grading Me?

“Relationships cause people to want to be with you, but respect causes them to want to be empowered by you. Mutual respect is essential to the empowerment process…When you believe in people, care about them, and trust them, they know it. And that respect inspires them to want to follow where you lead.” John C. Maxwell, Becoming a Person of Influence (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1997), 186.

Some places are filled with advisors. In these places, there are people who come solely for the purpose of critique.

Where they receive their authority to share is a mystery. One could search a lifetime and never locate the legacy that is the evidence of their wisdom, and yet they share it as if a throng of pupils is following behind them.

It is good to be careful about who a person allows to teach him or her. It is even more important to be careful about who we allow to grade us. Often the person with the red ink pen is like a boy with a hammer…everything looks like a nail.

Forever learning, sometimes by force from poor teachers with red ink pens,
Johnny

3 comments:

Bret said...

I started recording my sermons for that very reason. "Advisors" would twist what I would say and then make me out to be a heretic. . . sad isn't it?

I always felt like there were a few sitting on the edge of their seats just waiting to catch me in something. . .

If nothing else, it turned me into a pretty good preacher and taught me to prepare.

Just keep up the God work. . . He is in controll.

Blessings,

Bret

Kathy said...

I respect you as a great teacher and friend. Thanks for your leadership. I'm excited to hear about the amazing things you will do in your new appointment. You're awesome.

Johnny said...

Thanks Bret and Kathy. I appreciate your encouragement.

There can't be a more excited Officer right now. I love creative freedom and this is going to be a great opportunity.