Sunday, May 28, 2006

"What's for Dinner?"

“A body of Christian believers is only as strong as the sum of its individual members, for the Church, like Israel, functions as a corporate personality. The lives of its members are intertwined and find their truest meaning in a network of relationships within this body. As a Jewish sage once observed, ‘There is no room for God in him who is full of himself.’” –Marvin R. Wilson, Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith

As a person who believes in ripping the guts out of the status quo with deadly force, figuratively speaking, there have been plenty of opportunities for me to experience criticism.

Usually the criticism is focused on where the idea for ministry strategies and techniques are gleaned. A common response to informing a congregation of an effective ministry done by such and such a church leader would be, “Why do we always have to do what “other” churches are doing?”

Let’s never forget that there is only one church. Within the Christian world, we are all members of the same family.

I like to think of other bodies of Christ as my brothers and sisters who live in a different house. They don’t want me lying in their bed, but they are more than willing to let me hang out in their kitchen to experience their menu.

The wonderful thing about us all being one family is that there are parts of our family that have learned, experienced, and perfected healthier ways to prepare food. Why should one of our family members be kept from that wealth of health?

So, when someone in another city, state, or country has figured out a ministry method that is effective for feeding “His” sheep, we should not say that the method belongs to another church, but it is the food that Christ is using to nourish his sheep.

There are still restaurants that refuse to update their menus, continuing to serve foods that are loaded in sugars and saturated fats. There are also plenty of people who still eat those foods. Look closely and you will identify selfishness, arrogance, and/or ignorance as the reason for the unwillingness to serve and eat healthier.

We should all be privy to the details, preparation, and serving methods of the effective recipes that are feeding the sheep.

It is not our responsibility to have “our own” menu, but to find out what God is serving.

"The third time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love me?' He said, 'Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my sheep'" (John 21:17 New International Version).

Forever learning,
Johnny

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Keep the yummy food coming. I grow, learn and become better each time I read your blog.

Johnny said...

Awe...You're nice.

I hope the Mommy, Daddy, and Baby are doing really great.

I spoke to Colonel Max Feener this weekend at Men's Camp and I told him about all the Newfies that I know. He was familiar with you and thinks you're great!

Have a wonderful day.

Kathy said...

Aw, really? It's been a while since I've seen him. He's a great guy. So are you Pocket Johnny.
We're doing great...miss you guys.
Say hi to the fam and hug that hot wife of yours for me.
KAthy

Bret said...

To many times we ask God to bless what we do rather than discover what He is doing and then follow Him. To be effective, we must discover where God is working, what He is doing and how we can join Him in His mission.

Great post!

Sheri said...

where do you come up with these analogies? are they your words or those found through your many readings? they always make me think...

Johnny said...

I guess I've always thought in pictures, just like a lot of people.

I specifically remember someone telling me that, according to one specific writer on the subject of sermon writing, "Until you can make an illustration of any object in the room, it will be difficult to write a sermon."

There may be some truth to that statement. Still, I believe that God gives some people the ability to "see" and "show" what will lose its meaning when is only said and heard.

This is probably why so many first century Jewish teachers spoke in parables.

Bret said...

Here is an article on the emerging church and youth ministry. It's worth reading. . .

http://www.cyfm.net/article.php?article=Connecting_Emerging_Churches_With_Youth.html

The book is good as well. . . it will make your head spin.