Thursday, August 24, 2006

Properly Commenting to Prevent Deletion

I thought it would be helpful to share some basic rules of blog commenting:

I have posted these before, but I feel the need to do it again.

These are from the Forum of jerusalemperspective.com and I am beginning with rule #2

2. Do not be confrontational. Be polite. Be tactful. Adhere to the Golden Rule.

3. No "flames" (heated messages). Your posts should be constructive. Resist the temptation to "flame" (respond emotionally). If you disagree with something a group member has written, disagree respectfully.

4. Do not troll, that is, attempt to provoke or "get a rise out of" another member.

6. Do not "shout," that is, type in all caps. (even in the subject line). Type in mixed case. Studies have shown that material typed in all caps is more difficult to read.

7. Offensive language will not be tolerated. Posts that contain such language will be deleted. A group member who uses abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented language will be permanently banned.

8. As a courtesy to other Forum participants, before submitting your post please reread its contents and correct grammatical and spelling mistakes.

9. You can utilize emoticons (smilies) to indicate tone of voice, but use them sparingly. Do not assume that the inclusion of a smiley will wipe out an otherwise insulting comment.

10. If a group member writes to you privately, be careful not to inadvertently post his message to other members of the group.

11. If, in your opinion, a group member has posted something inappropriate, please ask the moderator to remove it. Do not express your reservations to the discussion group. This will only draw more attention to the post in question.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Sorry, I had to delete my first comment because of bad spelling...obviously I didn't read your entry closely enough! haha!
Aw, poor Johnny...getting kicked in the face. I'll take Mr. Profile down for ya with my super huge guns (aka: My muscles)
Just kidding Mr.Profile. I read your blog about the Shaggy Dog and it made me laugh alot.

Johnny said...

I'm not as concerned with my own face as I am with someone's inability to have a mature conversation without resorting to sarcasm.

My hope is that we can hold sensitive and sometimes difficult conversations and continue to have respect for one another.

There is a great math teacher who said, "The day I became a great math teacher is the day I realized that I'm not teaching math, I'm teaching students."

We are all responsible for teaching something greater than the subject; we are teaching God's children. That requires more than simply knowing how to talk about the Bible; we have to know how to live the Bible.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Kathy said...

i agree.
true that homie J.

Johnny said...

You are so funny, Kathy. I don't know if you've ever seen that show with the girl from the Cosby show, where she is a psychic and acts like Carol Burnett, but there is a girl on that show that plays her friend who reminds me of the Kathy.

I can't watch her and not see you. She makes me laugh until my stomach hurts, just like Kathy.

Johnny

Anonymous said...

I dunno why I come off as snobby inconsiderate sarcastic jerk sometimes, maybe it's because I am one or maybe it's this written barrier. I definitely don't mean to be. I think maybe I'll try re-reading my stuff a couple of times and edit it until I'm as polite as can be. I don't want to overstep it though, where I end every post by asking if anyone wants a freshly baked sugar cookie.

I really thought rule number 6 was funny. I didn't know that they actually do studies on that kind of stuff. I suppose I should have expected it though, with they way our society is going.

I'm glad you liked it Kathy, my family and I hit the floor after we began to make fun of it.

Cookie Anyone?
Mr. Profile

Johnny said...

Mr. Profile,

Your maturity keeps taking me by surprise. I really thought that your feelings would be hurt to the point of not writing any longer.

Thanks for being a good sport.

"Snicker Doodles for me, please."

Johnny

Kathy said...

Johnny,
are you talking about "That's so Raven" airhead friend?!?! what does this mean for me!?!?
Mr. Profile,
I would love a cookie!
-kathy

Kathy said...

the word Raven is suppose to have an apostrophe 's'....sorry...i didn't check for spelling errors...woopsies

Johnny said...

Kathy,

Your comments will be deleted within 12 hours due to spelling errors. Please save your comments to your desktop for editing and resubmit your entries.

Management.


Yes, I'm talking about "That's so Raven." She is totally you, when you are being the super-funny Kathy.

Johnny