Sunday, October 08, 2006

Difficult People

The following is a list of the seven patterns of difficult people as given by Dr. Robert M. Bramson in his book, Coping with Difficult People.

Hostile-Aggressives: these are the people who try to bully and overwhelm by bombarding others, making cutting remarks, or throwing tantrums when things don’t go the way they are certain things should.
Complainers: complainers are individuals who gripe incessantly but who never try to do anything about what they complain about, either because they feel powerless to do so or because they refuse to bear the responsibility.
Silent and Unresponsives: These are the people who respond to every question you might have, every plea for help you make, with yep, a no, or a grunt.
Super-Agreeables: Often very personable, funny, and outgoing individuals. Super-Agreeables are always very reasonable, sincere, and supportive in your presence but don’t produce what they say they will, or act contrary to the way they have led you to expect.
Negativists: When a project is proposed, the negativists are bound to object with “It won’t work” or “It’s impossible” All too often they effectively deflate any optimism you might have.
Know-It-All Experts: These are those “superior” people who believe, and want you to recognize, that they know everything there is to know about anything worth knowing. They’re condescending, imposing (if they really do know what they’re talking about), or pompous (if they don’t), and they will likely make you feel like an idiot.
Indecisives: Those who stall major decisions until the decision is made for them, those who can’ let go of anything until it is perfect—which means never.

This should be looked at in two areas:

1. Who is the difficult person in my life?
2. Whose difficult person am I?

Grace and peace,
Johnny

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most anyone at sometime can fall under one of those. I learned to better myself and grew out of one of your examples but then I grew right into the other difficult person.

Forever learning too!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely.

I think I've been all of them at some point to some person.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Kathy said...

Very INteresting....
I'm totally the super-agreeable person. I need to work on that. Thanks for the reminder.

Johnny said...

Kathy,

I can give you names of some true super-agreeable people. I won't. But I could.

You are a long way from a fluffy, flaky, all talk and no action super-agreeable.

I look forward to the next time you are close so that I can see you in person. Thanks for the picture. Staci said you are beautiful and your baby is a cuty wooty.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Kathy said...

Aw, I was sad that you weren't there but happy to see your beautiful family. Your boys are so handsome and Ella is adorable!

Kathy said...

and you have a smokin hot wife

Bret said...

ummmmm let me count . . .

just kidding.

blessings,

Bret