Friday, October 20, 2006

Make Life Happen!

This is such a strange world that God has created. I can almost taste the irony as I stretch my way through life, too often never really lifting my feet from the past. And, though I pass through the years, I never really touch down on the future.

Every day I feel less and less up to the task of seizing the day. My crystal-blue eyes are tired from the strain of concern. My mind wonders around the pool of regret. And my heart beats faster to keep me ahead of the negative pulses that struggle to weigh me down. This, I believe, is a spiritual crisis. And I want to capture it. I want to grab it by its throat and stand on its chest. So, I have. I am not allowing it to talk to me. Instead, I am talking to it. And, what do I say?

I yell into its eyes, “I have been given goals, dreams, and visions for life that only I can prevent--Not You! And I'm not about to stop them!”

I know more than I ever knew before. I dream vividly at night, and I look forward to the day. And my heart is not as soft as it once was. There is no fear of man or the tools of intimidation that are used to restrain the tenacious. Instead, I seek out the bully, stand on his turf, and look into his eyes. There’s nothing that he can say or do that is able to turn back my relentless pursuit to drive my dreams on the roads that have been paved for the plans laid out for me.

There have been those who have labored to convince me that life is something to let happen. But I am convinced that life is better suited for those who make it happen. The less inspired is heavily disturbed by the unrelenting quest of the determined. That is why paradox attempts to define my way by convincing me that I can reach for the stars that have fallen onto the ground. “After all,” says Mr. and Mrs. Underachiever, “Stars are stars, even when they have fallen.”

Don’t believe it. Those aren’t dreams; they’re compromises.

Spend time dreaming real dreams, and then go after the dreams—the high, far, far-away dreams; the dreams that don’t allow your feet to stay where they are, while you stretch out your hands.

As Jim Rohn so wisely says, “Life is short, even at its longest.”

So, live life like you are the one chosen to prove to God that life will not be wasted when He gives it to human beings.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

12 comments:

Krista said...

Thank you for sharing this part of you, Johnny. You're not alone in what you're going through, believe me. There are people (whom you know) of like minds who are going through a similar process right now. There is power in that, and I am so grateful to be part of a family where this is happening.

Keep pressing on, and know that there are others alongside you who are pressing forward with you.

Johnny said...

Hey Krista,
What a privilege to have you respond on my blog. Thanks for your encouraging and supportive words.

Thanks again, Krista.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Stephanie said...

Such eloquent words...
...Johnny, you are great. May you be surrounded by those who will continue to push you forward... push you upwards... and not allow you to lean back into comfortableness..

The Secret of Happiness said...

Woah, go ahead...STOMP!!

Johnny said...

Hi Stephanie and Kristy,

Thanks for your encouraging words.

Every once in a while I just feel like speaking my mind.

Your friend (both of you) for life,
Johnny

Anonymous said...

If nothing else, his wife will be the one to make sure he doesn't lean too far back into comfortableness. (isn't this what wives do?)

(:

Kathy said...

Like Kristy, I want to thank you for sharing with us some of what goes on inside of Johnny.

Johnny said...

Hey, Kathy!

That was Krista, with an "a." She is a wonderful lady who is part of our Sanford Family.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

The Secret of Happiness said...

Sorry Johnny, Kathy has some trouble getting me off her mind sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Staci :-)

Johnny said...

Yesterday was a strange, stressful, exciting, and emotionally up-and-down day.

Staci reminded me of her comment on this blog and told me that she was being a bit sarcastic, because too often wives are not as encouraging as their husbands need them to be.

I love it that wives can also depend on their husband's friends to give encouragement along side them. Men can be such babies at times and, without good friends, a wife can begin to feel like a mother.

Thanks, Honey, and thanks, friends, for always giving me a lift when I'm down.

I love all of you.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Kathy said...

Woops...my constant thinking about Kristy and my lack of reading skills caused me to make that error. Woopsies!