Thursday, November 02, 2006

People Are Like A Box of Whitman's Chocolate

Listening is such a needed attribute within the body of Christ. Often we are given the opportunity to share or be shared with, and the chance is missed for lack of interest or difference of opinion.

I love what one writer, possibly Stephen Covey, says, “First seek to understand, and then seek to be understood.”

Forest Gump said, “Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re going to get.”

Life may not be predictable as we'd like it, but I think people are another story.

Most people are like a box of Whitman’s chocolate; the kind that does let us know what we’re going to get, if only we take the time to look inside the box before we grab or reject the morsels inside of one another.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

10 comments:

The Secret of Happiness said...

Interesting...I AM like a piece of chocolate. Hopefully the kind with caramel inside...

Anonymous said...

This is timely for me, as I've been more and more aware of the need to simply hear each other out. All to often we are phasing people out, instead of listening "between the lines".

Having said that, what was that you said Johnny?
Matthew

Anonymous said...

Oh, so I'm anonymous, now who is going to listen to me!

Johnny said...

I don't like it when I get those nasty orange filled chocolates. They always look good until I find out what's inside. That's when I spit them out.

And I'm learning that there are a lot of orange filled people. They are the yucky people. But they put a nice, sweet chocolate coating over their nastiness and they make a great first impression.

Krista said...

Johnny,

I don't really have the "right" words now, but I want to thank you again for helping us to see what we're getting if we pick you out of the box ... and also thank YOU for taking the time to listen and learn from others.

Good timing, and good words.

And who's this anonymous Matthew guy?

Kathy said...

If you were a chocolate johnny, you would be a nut! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I am HILARIOUS!

Johnny said...

You're right, Kathy. I think I am a nut. If not, I'm turning into one.

Pray for me and my family.

Johnny

Kathy said...

Will do. We miss you.

Stephanie said...

You update your blog too frequently! You make the rest of us look bad! Just kidding... I'm just going back through and reading the posts that I've missed of yours... I wouldn't want to leave any unread!

Johnny said...

That's okay, Stephanie.

I check them quite often to make sure I have answered any questions or added any needed insights.