Tuesday, November 07, 2006

“Strengthening Faith or Dancing with the Devil?”

Speaking dangerously is something that more Christians would do well to dabble in. I have found that far too many believers become angry or even threatened by some of the thoughts and ideas of the classic writers and even refuse to read for fear of feeling that they are dancing with the devil.

Recently I read a definite classic by Rudolf Bultmann, of which I'm sure many have read, titled "Jesus Christ and Mythology." Bultmann's philosophy is very striking and thought provoking as his words would seem to challenge the reader to once again approach some of the questions many have during a point in life when a person begins to experience doubts about faith and God. Bultmann's "de-mythologizing" theory is very tantalizing in that it brings to the surface of those reading the book that many well-meaning believers have mythologized much of the ideals of Christianity.

When we tell our children that angels are watching over them, how much of our thoughts about that statement are steeped in myths of female, winged, gown wearing, glowing, ghost-like creatures hovering invisibly about the bed?

Some of Bultmann's thoughts are no doubt placed in the theological world of infamy, while at the same time there is much to his words that gives us cause to look deeper into what we believe and how we live as Christians.

In a general conversation, I spoke of this book to another Christian who not only did not want to read it, but refused to even talk about it. This brings to my mind that we, as believers, must not fear the thoughts of the classic writers who helped to shape and even challenge our Christian theology throughout history, ancient or more recent. It is through the efforts of the classic writers that we are able to galvanize our thoughts as Christians.

I wish that we would all dare to dabble in the dangerous. Faith is only as strong as it is able to stretch in and out of the safest and scariest of converstations, whether written or spoken.

Forever learning,
Johnny

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Interesting (in a good way) that you chose to post on this topic... sounds like a good book... I've never heard of it. So is it possible to dabble in the dangerous too much?

Johnny said...

Stephanie,

I would assume that the reason so many have such a difficult time, is because as one person said, "Most Christians today know very little about their own faith. Most are 'Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so Christians,' who can offer very little to a serious conversation and questioning without becoming frustrated, angry, or silent." That is sad.

My faith has never been stronger. I lived the first 34 years of my life as a "JLMTIKFTBTMS" Christian who dodged the tough questions and worked hard to build up a good storehouse of clichés.

Many times people will say, "You don't need to answer every question about God." I agree. The problem is that most people, without realizing it, have answered the questions that don't have answers.

The Trinity with the egg illustration is a perfect example. I think the best answer for "Is God one or three in one?" would have been, "I don't know. But He sure is mysterious." Instead, people have been killed for giving the "wrong" answer. At best, they have been excommunicated and left out of the body of Christ.

I can only speak for myself as I answer your question. But I say that it is impossible to dabble in the dangerous too much.

Is it too dangerous to hear that some of the New Testament books were accepted as part of the cannon based on the fact that they were written by certain authors, when according to most scholars, those who approved them knew that they weren't really written by those authors.

These are tidbits of info that I don't think are dangerous, but are informative. Unfortunately, as Rudolph Bultmann would say, we have mythologized so much of our faith that we believe whatever happens, God made happen. Most Christians believe that we really have no responsibility or control over such things, though people definitely had control over establishing what we now would never consider even questioning. That is, unless we are willing to be called a heretic.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

Walker,

Your mind is incredible. Thank you very much for the comment about there being no Protestants or megachurches without thinking and questioning (my paraphrase).

You also brought to me some sensitivity to the fact that people are seeking answers in different ways.

That's such a great point as I look over recent conversations where some people hear me and assume that I have lost my theological mind. As you point out, I am seeking answers or even questioning long believed answers, because, in this time of uncertainty, it is my way of finding my way through all of the turmoil.

Thanks again, Walker.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

Walker,

So, you are not sure of the truth of that comment.

I'm only secure in the statement because I believe that so much of our theology has gotten so far from the practical applications of living God's Word that there have been those who spent enormous amounts of energy on stuff that Jesus never brought up, such as deciding on his deity. I am not arguing whether Jesus is God or not, but that fact does little to motivate followers to "be" along with the responsibility to "believe."

In other words, I believe that what we think has become incredibly more important that what we do as Christians, which Jesus would not encourage. As he said, we will be divided according to those who fed, clothed, and visited, not by those who believed and didn't believe.

Some may say that Jesus said, unless we believe we cannot be saved. To that, I would argue that belief in a first century Jewish worldview was a verb of action, not of intellect. That is a fact which should not be ignored. Therefore, Jesus was saying, unless we live according to his instructions, we cannot be saved.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

Okay.

It's interesting, Walker, that as I speak with people today, there are more and more who are willing to rethink our thinking.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

Walker,

I hope I didn't come across as argumentative. I thougth that's what you meant, and I wanted to be sure.

Grace and peace,
Johnny

Johnny said...

That is a great quote, "I do my best thinking with my mouth open" (Walker).

I'm glad we can talk.

Thanks, Walker.

Grace and peace,
Johnny