Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Blogging Etiquette (It's worth a read)

I thought it would be helpful to share some basic rules of posting onto the Forum of a very popular website called Jerusalemperspective.com. They post these rules as a guideline to help keep the Forum from becoming a place to vent.

I have posted those which I feel are appropriate to blogging for me and those who respond.

Beginning with rule #2:
2. Do not be confrontational. Be polite. Be tactful. Adhere to the Golden Rule.

3. No "flames" (heated messages). Your posts should be constructive. Resist the temptation to "flame" (respond emotionally). If you disagree with something a group member has written, disagree respectfully.

4. Do not troll, that is, attempt to provoke or "get a rise out of" another member.

5. No advertisements.

6. Do not "shout," that is, type in all caps. (even in the subject line). Type in mixed case. Studies have shown that material typed in all caps is more difficult to read.

7. Offensive language will not be tolerated. Posts that contain such language will be deleted. A group member who uses abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually oriented language will be permanently banned.

8. As a courtesy to other Forum participants, before submitting your post please reread its contents and correct grammatical and spelling mistakes.

9. You can utilize emoticons (smilies) to indicate tone of voice, but use them sparingly. Do not assume that the inclusion of a smiley will wipe out an otherwise insulting comment.

10. If a group member writes to you privately, be careful not to inadvertently post his message to other members of the group.

11. If, in your opinion, a group member has posted something inappropriate, please ask the moderator to remove it. Do not express your reservations to the discussion group. This will only draw more attention to the post in question.

9 comments:

Johnny said...

I think so too.

Stephanie said...

yeah, but shouldn't your blog be a place where you can vent? or are you referring to when you post on someone else's?

Johnny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Johnny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christina said...

I see your both of your points and Stephanie, I agree with you. My blog is my online, public journal. Maybe someone else's is a private journal that no one else can see or maybe a political forum or an evangelical tool...to each his own. I think a good rule of thumb is just not to say or do anything that would damage your Christian witness. I think that's a good point for life in general.

Christina said...

sorry about the deleted comment! spelling errors :-)

Johnny said...

Yeah. I agree.
Blogging is so two dimensional that it can paint an unfair picture of me; causing me to come across as a judge or a politician.

Neither is bad if that’s what I want. However, I have to remember that I’m responsible to be clear as I communicate. And if others assume my tone, then that’s my responsibility. So, I simply choose to remain in an information mode.

I notice that Desmond uses his for an info and entertainment outlet.

If those of you who haven’t read his today, get a chance, you will have a lot of fun. Desmond is awesome.

Grace and peace.

sarah jewett clarke said...

i prefer not typing in mixed case.

:: sigh ::

my mother would not be proud of my blogging etiquette.