Monday, April 17, 2006

Need Acceptance? Must be dirty. Apply within.

My oldest son is experiencing employment for the first time in his life. He also filled out his first job application. I helped him fill it out.

On an application for employment there are a lot of questions that pry into your life to make sure there is no "dirt."

Some questions include:
1. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
2. Have you ever been convicted of a sex crime?

There is also the "Please list all prior employment." This is so they can check with former employees to get a good idea of your work ethic.

Most of this, mind you, is to find the "dirt." And if they find the dirt, you don't get the job. The employer is depending on you not having any dirt and you are depending on your ability to hide your dirt in order to get your foot in the door.

God uses a completely opposite entry criterion. He says, "Confess your 'dirt' and I'll gladly let you in. If your application is spotless, go back home."

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8 NIV). Have you ever met an employer, a Dad whose daughter you want to marry, or a lender who will say that?

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9 NIV) Who lets us in their house, their employment, their lives, when we confess all our temptations and sins?

This, I believe, is the importance of community for Christians. If we are going to be Christ to the world, then it is important that we are able to let people in, not in spite of their confessions, but by expecting and encouraging confessions.

Hiding our 'dirt' only prolongs the inability to help or get help cleaning it up.

Remember, we all have dirt.

Some have learned to use makeup and pretend it isn't there, while others have been washed in the shower of forgiveness with support, encouragement, and guidance from God's community.

Isn't it strange that when we tell people our faults, most will keep us out, but God won't let us in until we tell Him our faults?

When we are able to accept people with all their "dirt", we are experiencing godliness.

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8 NIV)

10 comments:

Wayne said...

Have...am experiencing this.

Bret said...

Johnny,

When I review an application and follow up on the references I’m really not looking for dirt. . . I’m looking for competency. . . I’m for a person that will help my organization meet its goals and objectives. . .

At Christmas, I had an applicant submit his “inmate” card as an ID because it’s the only ID he had. I said to him, “dude, you need to get another ID . . . this is not the first impression you want to give potential employers. . . ” The man responded, “Man, I know I’ve made some mistakes. . . I just need a second chance. . .” I said, “OK.” The guy has now worked for me almost six months.

Maybe the church should take more chances with people. . . It’s risky, we should be cautious . . . but I believe it’s what Christ would do.

Blessings,

Johnny said...

What you did is exactly what the church should do. Unfortunately that isn't the case in most situations.

I still can't get people in the corps to stop referring to the gentelmen who are in the A.R.C. program as "The men from the A.R.C." It would be nice if they could get enough respect to have a name, instead of a "stamp."

Thanks Bret. You are encouraging.

Sheri said...

you have a way with voicing my thoughts...it's weird. your post has brought up many things in my head...too much to write here. i will blog, if you want to check it out, it will be about yours...does that make sense? not thinking too clearly tonight. your words are inspiring...growing through His love

Kathy said...

Man that hit home today. I've been really ashamed of my selfishness and my complacency....it's amazing how we can convince ourselves that our dirt can seperate us from Christ, when really it draws us to his side and makes his sacrifice on the cross mean so much more. When it comes to dirt, I can be pretty filthy. Praise God for Jesus.
Thanks for reminding me of that this Easter.

Anonymous said...

Hey J,
My husband and I are in agreement with your thrust to stop folks (especially the offering guy) from referring to some of our congregational members by their label (those guys from the ARC). . No one refers to me by the label of my past sin - We now call upon Heather Dolby, the alcoholic fornicating, manipulative liar to lead us in our first song... are those guys different because they are still persevering through the hard times and can't/don't hide the fact of where they are at, while mine are tucked neatly and discreetly in my past? Hmm.

Johnny said...

Hi Anonymous,
That is a great point. I also appreciate that you were willing to confess your "dirt." The anonymous takes a little away from the attempt, however.
Thanks again for your words. I am still laughing.

sarah jewett clarke said...

johnny, i think the previous comment may have been made by heather dolby.

i'm not completely sure, but when she compared the "a.r.c. guy" recognition of past sin to "Heather Dolby, the alcoholic fornicating, manipulative liar" i kind of assumed it was her.

if not, heather dolby might be a little ticked off at anonymous.

[thanks for loving me despite my occasional bend toward sarcasm]

Johnny said...

Thanks Sarah,
I completely missed that. Uhg! I can be so blind.

I was only kidding though. (Said with a sad face and whimpy whine.)

Anonymous said...

haha. it was me. you guys are hilarious.
grace,
Heather