Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"It's Okay, Baby."

Today, I took Ella to the cemetery near our house. We walked through the green grass, looking at all of the grave markers. I have always been intrigued by graveyards. I love to read the names and the years of their births and deaths, and try to imagine what their lives must have been like when they were alive.

I am especially curious when I read dates that reflect their births as being before the end of American slavery and their deaths being after slavery. How strange of a life they must have lived with all of the changes in such a time as the existance and abolition of humans owning humans. Disgusting sin!

As Ella and I walked through the graveyard, I would point out the grave markers of infants and tell her, “Here is where a little baby was buried. The baby died.” She really couldn’t understand exactly what I was saying, because she is not even three-years-old. But she did a very strange thing.

Every time I showed her a grave marker of an infant, she would sit on the grave marker, pull up a hand full of grass, pull the grass cupped in her hands toward her chest and cuddle it, while saying, “It’s okay, baby. It’s okay.”

I swear, it took every bit of control I had to keep from crying.

I think females are the most amazing creatures that God has placed on the earth, no matter what their age.

Forever experiencing God through my children,
Johnny

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow. That is beautiful.
I think it's brilliant that you teach your children those things at an early age. She will be better and stronger because of it.

Johnny said...

Ella is so spiritually in tune. It's really quite amazing. She loves to sing and raise her hands in worship, and I don't know where my little toddler learned it.

Thanks for the comment, Kathy.

Johnny

The Secret of Happiness said...

That's incredible.

Johnny said...

It is incredible.

Staci is going to NAOC in Dallas, so, my little girl will want to sleep with Daddy while Mommy is gone. I love cuddling up to her. She's so sweet, because she falls asleep on my arm with her back to me. SWEETNESS!!!

Thanks for the comment, Kristy.

Johnny